Just over a year ago, we were thinking things would never be the same again. So much can change in a year. So many lives lost, so many lives brought into this world. Are we really back to normal? Can we live everyday like 3.5 million people haven’t lost their lives to this virus?
Today is the day we can go back to “normal” in Massachusetts. No more masks are necessary if you have been fully vaccinated (but who is out there checking vaccination cards?) I just hope we all still remember everything we have learned. Here is a list of things we should continue to do:
1. Wash our damn hands, because that’s a common thing we should do, right?
2. Stay home if we feel sick, even if we think it’s just a cold.
3. Be aware of other people’s boundaries. Before 6 feet social distancing was a thing, I swear someone behind me in line at the grocery store could count all the freckles on the back of my neck. Respect a stranger’s space.
4. Hugging is my favorite thing to do. Hug more friends and family, And hug often.
5. Get vaccinated. Or not. But you should.
6. Smile. It’s been hidden for so long, someone will appreciate your smile.
Stepping outside, I can smell the air changing. Winter is a distant memory. I can see the daffodils and crocus peeking through the soil. They are just waiting to fully bloom, to fully reach their potential. They thrive in this subtle warm weather. There’s a reason why they reach towards the sun. Light it hope. Light is growth. We have only just begun. We have only just begun this transition to a new beginning. Things seem to be looking brighter in the near future for us all. Let’s hope and grow together.
There was a girl who thought of a life she once had- the darkest of moons, a vertical coast drifting along a scattered memory. Where does she belong? Does she stay or go? The light that answered her turned into a guessing game. Playing on a whim to only move three ahead and be knocked back down to zero. Starting from the beginning is the only way to be on top.
We must become warriors of the sanctioned stars that seek fire of the unknown- A light warning enemies to free the innocent. We can only fight with the knowledge that is here and relish the time we have. We will conquer what cannot be conquered and we will love until our souls run through the silent battlefield.
There’s a storm in her eyes that no one can see but her- Lightning that strikes brighter each time she blinks.