One of my other passions that I will share with you from time to time is baking. I love to bake! I decided to share a twist on a beach pie. It’s the perfect amount of everything for your tastebuds. From the sweet, tart, and salty. If the sky opened up and decided to rain a perfect Summer pie (or any season!), this would be it. I experimented with this and luckily it turned out just as great as I thought it would.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 Hour and 5 mins
Ingredients for filling:
- 14 oz organic sweetened mcondensed milk
- 4 eggs yolks
- 3/4 cup Italian lime juice
- zest from 1 lime and 1 lemon
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
1. Preheat your over to 350 degrees F.
2. Make the crust first. Using your hands or a food processor crush the saltines finely. This gets messy so I would suggest a food processor if you have it! Add sugar and then the butter(room temperature). Mix well. Place the crust in a 9 inch pie pan and place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Then, cook the crust for about 30 minutes until slightly brown.
3. While the crust is baking, make the filling. Take a medium bowl and whisk the zest and egg yolks together. Then, add the sweetened condensed milk. Lastly, add the Italian lime juice. Mix well and then set aside so it can thicken.
4. Take the pie crust out of the oven and slowly put in the Key Lime filling. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
5. After the pie has cooled off, place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Add some lemon and lime zest on top and serve with homemade whipped cream! Enjoy!